AriaBlarg+Friends Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

Go down

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS Empty The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

Post  RansomSummer Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:18 am

Okay guys, as a HUGE fan of our Hyrulian Hero and of the entire Zelda franchise, I couldn't wait until the re-release of what is arguably the pinnacle of gaming success. I purchased a shiny new black 3DS complete with a Crystal Green hard plastic case emblazoned with our hero astride Epona SIMPLY to get me even more pumped than I already was for such a welcome addition to the wireless arsenal.

Now, I've played every installment of the series back since the iconic "Overworld Theme" was first burned into my brain 16 or so years ago with my introduction to the Legend of Zelda on the NES. I fought my way through the dungeons and castles and caves and the like all the way up to what became a fanboy's dream. Yes, kids. Zelda was going 3D. Well, closer than before anyway, with the introduction of the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64. So, with a little backstory, I'm now prepared to fill you in on whether this was just another quick buck for the wireless consumer, or a welcome new paint job on a timeless classic.

First off, a little story on the game, for those who never got to experience the original in all its glory.

To start things off, there were three goddesses of Hyrule: Nayru, Din, and Farore. They embodied Wisdom, Power, and Courage, respectively. Long ago they created what we now know as Hyrule using their powers, shaping the land and everyone who would eventually inhabit it. Upon their leaving, the Triforce would be created at the point where all three had met, and this sacred relic had the power to shape or destroy the world. The sages created a means to lock away such power to keep it from falling into the wrong hands and ushering in the end of the world. This is where the antagonist comes into play. Ganondorf makes his appearance as the main villain of the game, trying as he might to obtain the Triforce and take control over Hyrule and create his new dark age. You, as you might have guessed, take the familiar role of Link who must make his way across vast landscapes, through dark dungeons, and high on top of mountains to make sure the Triforce doesn't fall into the wrong hands. Aiding Link on his journey is his fairy, Navi, who provides (not so)helpful hints during the games progression. This is a basis of what is explained in the beginning story of the game, and gives a firm grasp on your motive. And now, to the review of the game itself.

First off, since long ago, I've been a collector of cases of games and the respective manuals that came with them. With that in mind, my first impression of the instruction manual left much to be desired, with what include basically JUST the bare essentials to begin. It shows you how to set up a new game, how to save, how to continue....basically, the necessary stuff, but they didn't pack in little tidbits on some of the earlier and more iconic items that sort of bugged me. Regardless, I fired up the game and was welcomed by a familiar title animation with a nice little redo on the graphics. Basically, the game still does a wonderful job to get you started just like the original with a few little cutscenes here and there just to fill you in on the story a little more.

The first point to make, which was personally my biggest concern, was button mapping. I feared the worst for taking such fluid and perfect control from the N64 controller and renovating it completely. Well folks, it was a welcome surprise to find that while it may take a few minutes to get used to, the control is both very stable and very easy to catch on to. A welcome addition that personally I had a little trouble with was Camera/Slingshot/Bow aim control which now uses the players own movements rather than thumbstick/DPAD movement. Simply hold the 3DS where you want him to point, and he'll go ahead and aim there....with remarkable fluidity I might add. L-Button targeting replaced the Z-targeting system and works surprisingly well. All in all, the control was pretty easy to get accustomed to and soon you weren't thinking twice before targeting, side strafing to avoid a Stalfos' incoming sword strike, only to send him back to the dust of Hyrule's earth with a well placed sword strike....with a hiccup every here and there.

Another point to make is of both the redone graphics and 3D capability. Both are superb, plain and simple. If you would've told me back in 1998 that this title could NEVER look any better...I would've damn well believed you. But now, it's got a nice old polish job and is looking better than ever! Gone are the more blocky textures and models of characters and in game objects, which for the most part are replaced with more fluid and curvaceous ones. All of this with a few edges to maintain the original charm. Along with modeling upgrades, the scenery is simply a sight to behold with changes so subtle, you constantly find yourself either double-taking or going back into a random house or shop just to stand in awe because you might have missed it the first time through. The backdrops, much like the original are gorgeous. OoT 3DS has revamped the already picturesque scenery of the original for graphical delights that will surely satisfy even the most jaded of gamers.

On to the 3D functionality. This is where, quite honestly, I couldn't enjoy the amazing work they did in its entirety simply because of the design of the 3DS. When the stereoscopic 3D is fully enabled, EVERYTHING in the game pops and you feel that much closer to the game, looking like you could literally rip the little leaf of the Deku Scrub's head yourself. Riding Epona across the landscape of Hyrule Field with the 3D gives such an epic feeling that I myself couldn't help but blare Manowar's "Battle Hymns." Go ahead. Try it. All of this falls short though due to the excessive eye strain that comes along with playing it in its 3D glory. Playing the game in 2D is just as fine due to the graphical revamping they did, so I had no problem having several hour long sessions of dungeon diving at a time. So, if you want to try it in its wonderful 3D abilities, you might have to heed Nintendo's warnings every so often and take the game in stride. But I warn you fellow gamers.....this, like the original, is one that is hard to put down once you pick it up.

Overall, I'm VERY pleased to give this game a 9.0/10.0 for remaining true to its predecessor whilst giving it a long overdue paint job to make a classic even better.
RansomSummer
RansomSummer

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum