AriaBlarg+Friends Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official Metal Gear Topic!

+3
Cornzone4
StealthKnight
AwesomeBrand
7 posters

Go down

The official Metal Gear Topic! Empty The official Metal Gear Topic!

Post  AwesomeBrand Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm bored and decided that I would revive my topic from the TTV Gamers United forums to get some MGS fans together and discuss whatever we want regarding one of the best game series ever!

All Past games, upcoming games, and elements such as characters, music, strategies, criticisms, and streaming events are all subjects that can be discussed in this thread. Subjects involving Hideo Kojima's other lesser known games which include Penguin Adventure, Snatcher, Policenauts, Zone of the Enders, and Boktai are also allowed for discussion.

Last edited by AwesomeBrand on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
AwesomeBrand
AwesomeBrand

https://www.twitch.tv/awesomebrand

Back to top Go down

The official Metal Gear Topic! Empty Re: The official Metal Gear Topic!

Post  StealthKnight Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:56 am

I love the metal gear series. they have such an interesting stories and neat world background that feels very real. Everything about the games are great. So far I only have Metal gear solid 2 substance and Need to go back to beat it.
StealthKnight
StealthKnight

http://www.twitch.tv/stealthknight

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornzone4 Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 am

Metal Gear for NES sucks, just sayin. Kappa 🐘
Cornzone4
Cornzone4

Back to top Go down

Post  awagnus Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:13 am

the metal gear for NES is no Kyle Petty's NO FEAR racing, i'll say
awagnus
awagnus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornzone4 Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:20 am

Metal Gear Solid is the Bill Elliott of the series, Metal Gear is the Kyle Petty
Cornzone4
Cornzone4

Back to top Go down

Post  StealthKnight Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Of course Metal Gear NES sucked. Even Kojima agrees. Of course Snakes revenge was the worst but single handily gave the series the sequels we all know and love. Thanks for sucking Snakes Revenge!
StealthKnight
StealthKnight

Back to top Go down

Post  AwesomeBrand Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Cornzone4 wrote:Metal Gear for NES sucks, just sayin. Kappa 🐘
Metal Gear was released for NES? If I didn't know it must be a repressed memory that makes my rage boil harder than a pervert's penis. Kappa

Nah but for realz, the original Metal Gear on the MSX doesn't hold up too much either but being Kojima's 2nd game I guess I should give some leeway. The sequel Metal Gear 2 however is quite the keeper and is definitely one of the better ones, give or take a few flaws that are inherited from being a reasonably open game from the 80's. Then there's Metal Gear Solid on PS1. :cheers: HALLELUJAH!

As for your comment Stealth, here's an article related to that http://thesnakesoup.org/?section=news&t=5277

Who's looking forward to that there HD Collection? Whoever is, I look forward to playing Peace Walker with you all this upcoming November (or maybe December, I dunno :P)

Last edited by AwesomeBrand on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AwesomeBrand
AwesomeBrand

Back to top Go down

The official Metal Gear Topic! Empty MGS HD Preview Analysis

Post  AwesomeBrand Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:05 pm

TGS is going on and such. As such, people have announcements to make. So does Kojima, and what he has mostly involves the HD collections for Zone of the Enders and, of course, Metal Gear Solid. First off, Kojima has announced that they'll also have a version made available for Vita next year. Then there's a trailer for ZOE HD on Vita, but it's a very small teaser that only shows cutscenes of the 2nd game.

Of course let us focus on MGS. Here's a trailer of the HD Collection shown at TGS.

Pay no mind to the lack of Peace Walker HD, that's sold seperately in Japan for some weird marketing reason. After an intro involving various statistics and awards we're introduced to some footage. Rather than being shown in Super Widescreen like in the Games com video, the video is displayed in true 16:9 widescreen, so no more black bars on the top & bottom of the screen. I believe something about 60 and 2D is mentioned, refering to the fact that the collection is completely in 60fps and has redone 2D artwork (menus and such). After a collage of scenes, we're shown a trophy called "Snake Eater" after a shot of Snake eating a cobra. We are then treated to a listing of what special features each specific games have. Despite being titled after the base versions of the games, they clearly have features from the special Substance/Subsistance releases.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance's main addition was the inclusion of VR/Alternative Missions and Snake Tales. As an overview for those who don't know, VR/Alternative Missions are game modes where you complete given objectives depending on the mission. "Snake Tales" are 5 extra story lines involving Snake. Also present is the casting theater, an amusing mode where you can take a few cutscenes from the game and replace the characters with others, making events such as having Ocelot killing a bunch of Raidens. The 4th feature, based on my limited knowledge of Japanese and given context clues, is simply Japanese voiceovers, which honestly don't matter to us but in Japan the PS2 version of Substance used the English voices for whatever reason.

Metal Gear Solid 3's list of special features is a lot shorter for some reason. What's listed is 3D camera, which is a rotatable camera that was added for the Subsistance release, and Demo Theater, which is a cutscene viewer.

We are then shown that the HD collection includes the original games from the MSX (not the NES). These were also in Subsistance, but there were 2 versions of Subsistance, one with a disc 2 and one without, and these were on disc 2. There's also claim of a product code to download MGS1 from the PSN store, but one must note that, based on previously released info, this only applies to the Japanese PS3 version as compensation for Peace Walker being separate. We then get a definitive release date of November 23rd. Note that this is the Japanese date, so other region dates may vary, but will be around this date. Finally, we end by taking a look at the PREMIUM PACKAGE, a special edition with a much better box art, an 450-page artbook, and what looks like a music CD? I hope something like that hits stateside.

If you feel that Peace Walker is alone, it has it's own trailer, which is just gameplay.

The menus are redone so the text and HUD look a bit smoother. The gameplay, much like the rest, features smooth 60fps (which youtube cuts down to about 30, but it's there) and 1080p resolution. We see the mission menu (unlike the other games, Peace Walker is split into many missions) and some gameplay of the mountain level. A cutscene is skipped due to story spoilers, and the trailer ends at the introduction to a boss.

So... thoughts?
AwesomeBrand
AwesomeBrand

Back to top Go down

Post  tehbone Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 am

I never played a mgs game before so I think I wanna get that mgs hd collection for the vita if I ever get one
tehbone
tehbone

Back to top Go down

Post  StealthKnight Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:27 am

Now I wish I had a ps3. These two series probably have great textures and design that the HD editions will help show off. Plus we can play the second disk of subsistence that was taken out for the ps2 collection.
StealthKnight
StealthKnight

Back to top Go down

Post  AwesomeBrand Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:48 am

StealthKnight wrote:Now I wish I had a ps3. These two series probably have great textures and design that the HD editions will help show off. Plus we can play the second disk of subsistence that was taken out for the ps2 collection.
This is also coming to the Xbox360, though having a PS3 does also let you play MGS 1 and 4. As for the 2nd disc content, aside from the two MSX titles... just read this article http://thesnakesoup.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5504
AwesomeBrand
AwesomeBrand

Back to top Go down

The official Metal Gear Topic! Empty Metal Gear Solid 3D is Shaping up!

Post  AwesomeBrand Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

When explorin some other forums I noticed some TGS footage for the 3DS remake of MGS3. I wasn't at all impressed with what I saw at E3, and when the TGS video (at first) turned out to be the same shit I saw months ago, I noticed that it's actually alot different. There's actually more cutscene/gameplay and it looks hella more polished. For comparison's sake, I'll post both E3 and TGS trailers below.

The cutscenes apply a weird graphical filter in the TGS version. It makes everything look a little better, but it's also a fuckton more shiny. It then shows off some of the new features that take advantage of the 3DS interface for better or worse. It first shows off the streamlined interface that may be done in real time. We see Snake go into his weapons and switch to a mk22 tranquilizer gun. Then it shows off the CAMO PHOTO SYSTEM where you can make snake's camo change depending on a picture taken with the 3DS's camera. Hopefully this isn't the only way to change camo and you can still change between other camo patterns found in the game. Then the gyro controls, which don't look that good and I hope you can disable. I can honestly understand the small things like balancing on treebranches and stuff, but other videos show going across the bridge using this mechanic and according to Ravi Sighn, the guy behind the Snake Soup site, it's frustrating. Then we're shown a bit more, then is over.

Here's another gameplay video for anyone curious. Then we're thrown into a cutscene.

Gameplay... has changed. Rather than using the original gameplay engine, the gameplay is more similar to MGS4/Peace Walker, which allows for crouch walking and over-the-shoulder aim. We see a bit of the bridge, which the player either utterly failed at or they were annoyed with it, as they progress by hanging off the bridge. Snake get's up and knocks out a soldier. We're then randomly shown a cutscene of when Snake beats the crap out of a group of soldiers in all their shiny glory. It may be due to still being in development, but these cutscenes seem to run at a framerate worse than the PS2 version! Compare this to the cutscene as shown in the gamescom walkthrough of the HD version

The fight starts at 3:48. The HD collection runs in 60fps, which is cut down to 30 on youtube. Regardless, movement is much smoother in comparison.

If you want a closer, behind the scenes look into things such as recent TGS or MGS, as well as a way to give insight/requests as to what you want from this collection (Which is why the collection has both Full 16:9 and Super Widescreen btw, they DO listen Wink) check out the KP Report @http://www.kjp.konami.jp/gs/hideoblog_e/

Last edited by AwesomeBrand on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a time for when to skip to in the video for relevance. Also added link to KP Report.)
AwesomeBrand
AwesomeBrand

Back to top Go down

Post  cornshaq Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I am a pretty big Metal Gear fan since I played the NES port of 1 not knowing just how great the MSX version was as well as the great MSX sequel until years latter. I can't wait for the HD version of Peace Walker since I don't have to fight with my PSP and its crappy joystick while playing this version. Anyway I love the series so much me and my friends are gonna do a Metal Gear Marathon in January where we will beat all the games in the series with the exception of maybe a few side ones like the Acids in 72 hours.
cornshaq
cornshaq

https://www.youtube.com/user/CornshaqGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  AwesomeBrand Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:15 pm

You won't do a few side ones. Does this mean you WILL do some? Because I hear Ghost Babel (The Gameboy Color Metal Gear Solid) was pretty good. Also will this include Portable Ops? Some people don't consider this a side game while others do. Finally, Which version of MGS1 will you be playing, PS1 or Twin Snaekz? Misha

It's good to finally get someone who can add discussion here anyway. Kappa
AwesomeBrand
AwesomeBrand

Back to top Go down

Post  lewkas Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 pm

A Metal Gear thread? Impossible!
lewkas
lewkas

http://www.twitter.com/kitfug

Back to top Go down

Post  AwesomeBrand Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:26 am

lewkas wrote:A Metal Gear thread? Impossible!
Pfffffffft there are less likely things that could happen, such as a site dedicated to Kojima's classic game that noone knows about that has never gotten an official translation being translated in some way. Oh wait...
AwesomeBrand
AwesomeBrand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down