AriaBlarg+Friends Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

3 posters

Go down

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. Empty Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

Post  Mooky Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Space Marine is the first game of the action-shooter variety for Relic Entertainment, a veteran RTS developer. They've created the groundbreaking 3D RTS Homeworld and its sequel Homeworld 2. Relic is also no stranger to the Warhammer 40,000 universe, having made Dawn of War 1 and 2, and all but one of the many expansion packs for each game.
Space Marine is a solid first outing, the weapons all feel phenomenal, the Space Marines themselves feel like thousand pound goliaths, carving their bloody, shouty, explody path through seemingly infinite hordes of Orks. The melee combat, while having a rather simplistic, 2 button combo system works very well to realize that power fantasy of being the genetically engineered super soldiers that Space Marines are inside the 40k universe. The ranged combat is an ample counterpart to the melee, feeling equally as chunky, weighty and satisfying as burying your chainsword or poweraxe deep into the forehead of a hapless Ork minion. The combat is every bit as violent and spectacular as one would hope for a game like this.
On to the Single Player offering: It puts a good foot forward initially, ramping you up through the multiple weapons, both melee and ranged over the first few hours, giving you the time to explore the combat systems and figure out the style you like. Personally, I'm a fan of the hugely powerful, brutal, and... huge Thunder Hammer, a two handed close combat weapon that dismembers Orks in waves as you throw its massive weight around. There is also the quick, growly, blood-spraying chainsword, and the graceful, blue glowing ballet that is the poweraxe. There are ample choices for those who would rather stand back and blast from a distance though. Space Marines can arm themselves with several flavors of bolter, from the standard assault bolter, to a more sniper friendly stalker bolter as well as a twin barrelled bullet vomiting storm bolter, best used in close quarters when not flailing around with a future-sword or the like.
The campaign itself is a pretty solid chunk of gameplay. The first 3 or so hours see you chopping through hordes of Orks, as the story of the game unfolds. I'll try to keep spoilers to a minimum, but if you'd like to keep your brain clean of storyline info, now would be a good time to skip the rest of this paragraph. A little past the halfway point of the game, Chaos Space Marines make an appearance. For me, this is when the game started to turn more toward frustrating than fun. The feeling of being a giant tank god of the battlefield starts to disappear as Chaos becomes more abundant. Chaos Marines have the same power armor and melee/ranged combat capabilitiesas you do. Taking down an agent of Chaos is much more difficult than blasting through the wall of meat that make up the Ork horde. You will die more often, you will probably curse a bit and if you're like me, quit the game for a few hours to let the rage dissipate. Eventually you will find a strategy to work your way through the forces of Chaos and see the end of the campaign, which couldn't hint more at a sequel if it were shouting for it through a megaphone.
Now for the multiplayer, which I must say is a surprisingly good amount of fun. Its not particulary deep, and its not exactly content rich with about 5 maps and 2 different gametypes. The game types are the typical team deathmatch and capture and hold (annihilation) that we've seen in every other game with tacked on multiplayer. For the record, while it does still feel a bit like an afterthought, there is a good amount to this component of the Space Marine retail package. First, foremost and most impressive is the customization menu where you can deck your own Space Marine or Chaos Marine out in custom colors, armor pieces, and weapon and perk loadouts. You unlock weapons and armor pieces as you level up and complete challenges (through the same kind of leveling mechanics we've seen in games since the leveling bug infected every multiplayer ever). There is a 3 class system in place, with my personal favorite the lightly armored jetpack (WOOT) sporting Assault Marine, who can use that jetpack to blast himself up into the air, and then send himself smashing into the ground on top of an enemy, damaging them to then finish them off with a series of melee strikes, he also equips some form of pistol to give him a limited ranged damage capability. The Tactical Marine, which is the standard frontline class, he is more heavily armored than the Assault Marine, has a more diverse possible weapon loadout, he is a bit weaker in melee than the Assault Marine, but is much stronger at distributing ranged damage in a more diverse way. Finally there is the heavy gunning Devastator Marine, he starts with a Heavy Bolter, which is the 40k universe equivalent of a machine gunner. He can fire his weapon on the move, or deploy to go fully automatic and lay down a hail of gunfire that is frankly unmatched by other classes. He can also equip a Plasma Cannon and act as a form of light artillery, charging up plasma shots that do splash damage over a large area. All three classes seem rather well balanced, the Devastators can destroy an Assault Marine at range, but if the Assault can get in close, his melee ability will outclass that same Dev, with the Tactical Marine being more of an all-rounder, who can come out ahead in either situation if the player knows how to deal with his situation.
All in all Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is a rather impressive first outing in the genre for Relic. The single player campaign does start to drag towards the end, the multiplayer is a bit lacking in game modes and maps, but it all provides an extremely solid base for a prospective (and probable) sequel. Free DLC has already been announced in the form of a cooperative multiplayer mode that pits 4 Space Marines players against AI controlled Orks, which is what I had been hoping for since Space Marine was first announced. It looks rather promising, and its a good indicator that Relic is planning to continue its trend of DLC for its titles.

(I generally refrain from numbered ratings, if necessary, I can add one here.)
Mooky
Mooky

Back to top Go down

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. Empty Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

Post  angeho Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:35 am

Awesome review! I'm really impressed with your sense of journalistic flow of throughout the article and the amount of detail in the major aspects of the game. My only critiques are minor, but I, someone who is not entirely familiar with the Warhammer universe and the storyline of the games, namely this game in particular. If you could expand on the game story a little bit, this article would be a little more complete! Also, spacing out the different sections of the review would add to the flow of the review even more. But, for reals, really good stuff mate Smile

angeho

Back to top Go down

Post  Mooky Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback! This was a mostly off the cuff thing I just laid down to make myself get it done and in to you guys quickly, normally I'd have done a bit more prep work and been a bit more thorough, I just wanted to make sure I got something in to you guys to look over.
Mooky
Mooky

Back to top Go down

Post  StealthKnight Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:36 am

Personally, I would mention in the gameplay about the heath system as I have read that it's based on combat so it would be good to know. Also you should talk about the graphics, describe the colors, the texture details, the art style. You should talk about the music like what style it is and the tone. Another thing is the mentioning of chaos marines might be spoiler and not need to be mentioned. You can talk about hard enemies but not state them unless it's vital to know like if they are bugged or glitched.
StealthKnight
StealthKnight

http://www.twitch.tv/stealthknight

Back to top Go down

Post  angeho Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Check yo messages brotha, and add me on Skype (angeho55).
It's for your own good Kappa

angeho

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down